Preliminary results came back today at 12:30 on Mitchells blood tests. They've found a blood borne infection around where the central line was in his umbilical cord. The good news thus far is that the blood tests from periphery areas are negative. They are treating him presently with two broad-spec antibiotics, until they are able to specify the bacteria causing the infection and treat it specifically. This means that we will be here for at least 7-10 more days, compared to 2-6 weeks if the infection were to spread. Otherwise, Mitchell is the best we've seen him. He is off oxygen, able to take 35 ml's of milk by bottle and the rest by feeding tube. We are able to hold him often and he is awake and happy. His temperature is being treated with tylenol, which he seems to like the grape taste. We are praying that the infection will be treated quickly by the antibiotics, and that it doesn't spread any further, especially toward his heart. After Monday's news of possibly going home by now, this comes as quite a let down... we are already exhausted and can't really fathom two more weeks here. But we are being reminded of things we already know, that God's promises and strength are made perfect in our weakness, and He will give us everything we need for the day.
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
More vacation time...
Preliminary results came back today at 12:30 on Mitchells blood tests. They've found a blood borne infection around where the central line was in his umbilical cord. The good news thus far is that the blood tests from periphery areas are negative. They are treating him presently with two broad-spec antibiotics, until they are able to specify the bacteria causing the infection and treat it specifically. This means that we will be here for at least 7-10 more days, compared to 2-6 weeks if the infection were to spread. Otherwise, Mitchell is the best we've seen him. He is off oxygen, able to take 35 ml's of milk by bottle and the rest by feeding tube. We are able to hold him often and he is awake and happy. His temperature is being treated with tylenol, which he seems to like the grape taste. We are praying that the infection will be treated quickly by the antibiotics, and that it doesn't spread any further, especially toward his heart. After Monday's news of possibly going home by now, this comes as quite a let down... we are already exhausted and can't really fathom two more weeks here. But we are being reminded of things we already know, that God's promises and strength are made perfect in our weakness, and He will give us everything we need for the day.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
rain delay
Mitchell had a fever last night of 101.5. This morning, we're testing for four different types of infections... in his urine, feces, blood, and incision. His incision looks good, and his stomach feels soft, so maybe that's not the culprit. Blood infections are possible through the central line into a baby's belly button if they are left in too long. If that's the case, it's frustrating, since he's had it in for a few days without any need for it. We may know some early results soon, but complete cultures won't be available or 2-5 days. Kind of disheartening since we we were looking forward to heading home soon. Please pray for Mitchell, he's been through a lot, and we'd love to bring him home... and we need patience and rest, neither of which seem to be coming very easily right now.
Monday, May 14, 2007
The home stretch...
This morning Mitchell moved into what we hope will be his last hospital room for a while. We're busy with feeding him every three hours, changing diapers, holding him, and Bethany is still pumping every three hours as well. We'll be able to let the nursing staff feed him at night, but it has made for a busy day. And we hope we won't have many more here. If things continue as they have, we'll be heading home this week.
Saturday, May 12, 2007
Almost there...
Another great day of progress. No more morphine, no more meds, no more ventilator. Just nutrients via IV, some tubes here and there. The ventilator has made him a little horse in the throat, so his cry is restrained, but as the picture shows, his effort isn't. We got to hold him again today, though it's quite an ordeal with all of the tubes, etc. He's even doing so well that either sunday or monday he'll move down to "the floor", where we watch him with the help of a nurse whenever needed. At this rate, we may be home by next weekend! Praise the Lord for answered prayers.
Friday, May 11, 2007
One tough cookie
Mitchell is a tank. He continues to improve above and beyond expectations. They've been able to wean him off the use of the ventilator about a day ahead of schedule, and other meds are being weaned and removed regularly. The ventilator will remain as a precaution for the next day or so, while the last meds are weaned. The bandage covering his chest will come off today, as will one of the chest drainage tubes. We are amazed at his progress.
We've learned a little more about next steps for recovery. After his meds are finished and he is awake, etc., he'll begin going into step down units. That process will end with a stay in the "moderate care" unit. During that time, we'll have a nurse as needed, otherwise we'll be caring for him 24 hours a day. Parenting at last! So, with that in mind, we got out last night for a date. We agreed that it was the most stress free, enjoyable time we've had in months. We are thankful for that time and all the good God is doing for Mitchell.
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Good Morning, Mitchell. It's been a long night.

Our little buddy is doing well. He had a good night, and continues to improve. His morphine allotment went down this morning, which made him a little more active, which is encouraging to see, and he even opened his eyes while we were there. He's gained about three pounds of liquids, which is to be expected with all the medications, so we're hoping that will start to drop again... the less swelling the better. Today will probably be another day of waiting for news, as he isn't really out of the woods yet. Thanks for all of your prayers and encouraging comments.
Wednesday, May 9, 2007
Recovery, version 2.0

The surgery went great, and Mitchell is in recovery. He won't be stable for the next 8-12 or so hours, so we are still praying for a healthy boy. He looks puffed up like he did at birth, and has some tubes coming out of his chest for drainage. When we saw him a little while ago, he was hooked up to an external pace maker to help regulate his heart rate. Otherwise, vitals looked good... and his oxygen is at 100%!!! This might be a long night, but we're so relieved to have the surgery behind us. Thank you so much for your prayers.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)